Hub of Cricket Information

best from cricket world

FIFA 10' Kicks Excitement Up a Notch

Bookmark and Share

Soccer's not one of my favorite sports. Actually, it's not even in the top five after basketball, football, baseball, badminton and bowling. Soccer's probably like seventh or eighth, depending on where I'm placing horseshoes.

That's how I know Electronic Arts' "FIFA 10" is one heck of a futbol game.

It sucked me in more than "Madden." Its gameplay is the equal of the seminal "NHL '10," and only a few matches in I was screaming "Gooooal" louder than the overly excitable announcers on Telemundo.

I also realized I have a lot to learn about professional soccer. The extent of my knowledge was that Landon Donovan and David Beckham play for the L.A. Galaxy in Major League Soccer — and that there's a team actually named "The Red Bulls."

So, FIFA's glut of leagues from across the world came as a shock. Not that they exist, but that all of them are in the game. I started to get just as excited over a Manchester United vs. Manchester City Premier League match as I would over any NFL showdown.

Told you this game was good.

The manager mode is great, and recalls the glory days of "Madden's" owner modes. The entire team is at your fingertips, and your bosses judge you harshly and may fire you if goals aren't accomplished. It's up to you to put a winning squad on the pitch and keep everybody happy.

The controls are also spot-on this year. By pulling the left trigger and using the right stick, a Pele-like assortment of moves are literally at your fingertips. Using the right moves at the right time with the right player to score a goal gives a sense of satisfaction few games match.

The graphics and overall presentation are what keep the game from being a classic. In some ways I understand why they're lackluster. There are so many players, so many stadiums, it's not like everything can have Sistine Chapel-like detail. The pitch is a big place, so the camera has to be zoomed out so you can see everyone. I get that. Still, when I lined up for a corner kick, the immersion factor drops a notch because of the bland players and surroundings.

Another gripe I have again seems to be unavoidable given the nature of the sport, but it's an issue nonetheless. "FIFA 10" automatically switches you to the closest defender to the ball. Oftentimes you'll be taking a great angle for a tackle only to have the game switch to another player at the last second.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if EA spruced up the atmosphere and fixed the minor control quirks for next year. Until then, "FIFA 10" is the best soccer game out there. {#}

Labels: ,

posted @ 9:56 AM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Light Within

Blog Roll

ss_blog_claim=eebcdd26d5c32d5838ede03f68f01f91 ss_blog_claim=eebcdd26d5c32d5838ede03f68f01f91